Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Am a Philosopher

I am enjoying UJ's new book, The Saint Troubadour, which I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. UJ (Uriah J. Fields) is a regular participant in our Thinking Out Loud podcasts. His book is a collection of poems, essays, and songs he has composed over the years dealing with a wide variety of philosophical and spiritual issues.

The very first poem in the book is entitled "I Am a Philosopher". I wanted to share it with you here, because I think it captures the essence of what I am calling the "Citizen Philosopher".

I Am a Philosopher
No, I am not Plato, Socrates or Aristotle;
But I am a philosopher.
I am a lover of truth.
I am concerned not merely with the facts but
.. their meanings and how they relate to
.. each other and to ultimate truth.
I am a philosopher reaching out, searching,
.. expanding, learning, loving and growing
.. while being present.
I am a philosopher.

Thank you UJ for that wonderful description of the philosopher in each of us.

For more gems like this, check out the book, The Saint Troubadour, available on amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Steve Donaldson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home